The Gin Guild has welcomed 19 new members – which include brand owners and ambassadors, distillers, bartenders and writers – to the ranks.
The new members were welcomed at a Gin Guild installation at the Mansion House, London, last week, where each took an oath and received a sterling silver juniper badge to signify membership.
The badges were presented by Christopher Hayman, grand rectifier of the Gin Guild, and Chairman of Hayman Distillers, who said: “We are delighted to welcome our new members to the Guild and are thrilled with the calibre of new entrants who applied to become members. It is truly an honour to be a part of the Guild, which represents the best of the trade, as entry is strictly for those who uphold the Guild’s values of excellence.
“We aim to promote the gin category across the globe, celebrating its heritage and helping others to recognise what makes a great quality gin. As we start our second year, we already have an incredible wealth of knowledge and passion within the Guild, which will undoubtedly help us to fulfil our aims.”
The Gin Guild was established by the Worshipful Company of Distillers in 2012 and aims to bring together key figures from all corners of the gin industry, including those involved in the production, promotion, distribution and consumption of the spirit.
Story © Harpers.co.uk 2013
The new members of the Gin Guild are:
- John Barnes, liveryman with the Worshipful Company of Distillers
- Leonardo Campanella, bartender and bar owner
- Sam Carter, UK brand ambassador, Bombay Sapphire
- Jonathan Clark, City of London Gin, brand owner
- Michael Cruickshank, bartender and bar owner
- Baron Carl Jacob Ehrenkrona, chief executive of the Reformed Spirit Company, owner of Martin Miller’s gin
- William Floisted, Unesdi Distribuctones
- Sam Galsworthy, co-founder, Sipsmith
- John McCarthy, head distiller,
- Alessandro Palazzi, head barman, Dukes Hotel
- Marcelino Piquero, owner, Sánchez, brand owner of Fifty Pound gin
- Jean-Sébastien Robicquet, founder of EWG Spirits & Wine and creator of G’vine Gin de France
- Montserrat de Rojas, global marketing manager gins, Diageo
- Alejandro Rivas de la Serna, co-founder of Bar 1862 Dry
- Francesc Escolà Subiela, bar owner
- Barrie Wilson, brand ambassador, Diageo
- Peter Fairbrother, leads Diageo’s gin category as global white spirits portfolio director
- Eloise Maxwell, gin blogger and promoter
- Ian Harris, chief executive of the Wine & Spirit Education Trust